Thursday, July 31, 2008

So the 29th of July...

It was pretty ridiculous, and what's even more ridiculous is that I didn't plan on doing it when I first started. Initially I had only planned on doing 16-17 miles like I normally would have done on Monday (but I didn't due to me being sort of depressed and not really wanting to do anything, much less running for 2.5 hours). So anyways I head off to what has become my standard "long run" route, which basically consists of me running to Alyssa's house and running back.

I started kinda early (10-15 minutes before 4:00pm) so it was pretty hot outside, but I planned on meeting Madeleine for guitar hero or something later on in the evening, so I didn't want to be all gross when I met her and I still wanted to do my long run. So yea, it's 4:00pm, and I'm thinking "hey this isn't that bad" -- and it's not that bad (its maybe like 95 degrees outside), for AZ. But sure enough, 40 minutes later I'm drenched and feeling pretty horrible. I figure I'll just suffer through it and once I make it to Alyssa's house maybe I'll chill at the Safeway nearby or something until I feel better.

So anyways I make it down to her house, and I was surprised to notice a different car there. It's a 2000 Chevy Prizm, brown. I rememeber Alyssa telling me a little while ago that she got a Chevy Prizm, but she didn't tell me that she was back in town. So now I'm kinda upset (maybe I'm not thinking rationally because I have no water, and I'm dying because of the heat). I know she doesn't owe me anything but still that kinda hurts.

So I'm angry now, and I decide 16-17 miles just isn't going to cut it. No, this is going to need an epic number of miles to make me feel better. I don't know if its because I'm vindictive, or insecure, or both, or something else entirely, but somehow I feel better when I run a lot because I feel as if I am "beating" people. For me it's like a huge "fuck you for rejecting me." I don't really know how I made that association in the first place but the net result is that I run a lot more when I'm upset. I think I wouldn't run much at all if I was happy.

So I text madeleine and ask her if she wants to go running, and somehow I accidentally guilt her into running 5 or 6 miles with me. The only problem is that the earliest she could start was around 6:45-7:00. It's like 5:10 or 5:15, I can't really remember at the time, but I'm only like 7-8 miles from her house if I just went there directly. So I would be waiting around for a good long time if I just went there directly. So now I decide I'll head over to Reid park, which is about 7-8 miles from where I'm at, but about 4 miles from her house. I get over to Reid surprisingly quick, even with stopping at Burger King on Columbus and 22nd to check if Janeth was working (she wasn't, but I grab some free water anyways), and decide that the 4 mile trip from there directly to Madeleine's just isn't going to cut it, unless I suddenly bust out the 11-12 minute miles.

Unfortunately this is about where my knowledge of the streets ends, but i figure I can just make it west to cambell and head north to speedway and then head east again and cut back down to broadway. It seemed like a good idea until I pretty much hit Aviation Highway and was basically forced to head north on Plummer (it wasn't a big deal though, because now I knew where I was). Oh well, but I just continued with the plan. Now mentally I had been keeping track of approximately how many miles I went (easy since they're mostly straight roads), and I figured (correctly) that 24 should be right around Columbus and Broadway. I got stopped by the light there, but now I realize that it was fortunate, since I looked at my watch and saw the 3:04:02 time indicated in my log.

This is important because up until now, even though I wanted to, I could never do '24 in the rain'; so basically I feel like I accomplished something, even though there's no rain.

Anyways, I run the last mile or so to Madeleine's and end up at her door at ~6:59pm, or 3:12:07 from when I started.

And that's pretty much where all the good news ends. I had to wait a bit for her to get ready and stuff so I loitered around a bit. BIG MISTAKE. I may have spent like 5 minutes max, but it was 5 minutes of not running, and I think my legs were like "oh so he's done now. initiate shutdown procedure." When I started running again, everything was hurting. I had her stretch me but it didn't help too much. I just decided to suck it up and keep going, because I still had like 6 miles left. Interestingly enough if I sprinted I felt a lot better (how does that happen?) but that is obviously not sustainable. I know I was going pretty slow because I felt like I was slowing Madeleine down the entire way. She said she understood because I had already done a ridiculous amount of mileage that day but I still felt bad. Somehow I made it up to the AM/PM about a mile away from my house, and thats when it all went to hell. Madeleine rolled her ankle on something right around there so I said we should just stop and take a look at it since I didn't want her to get hurt. Obviously I didn't learn my lesson about stopping after a long run if you still have running left. But personally I think it was worth it, since I would have felt way worse if she got injured from it. But anyways this time was even worse, and I couldn't even walk. I tried sprinting (since that still felt okay), but I was only able to get like 300-400m in before I couldn't sustain it anymore.

At that point, I decided to take a nap.

No joke.

I asked madeleine if she wanted to go back to my house (I had my keys) and get my car or something but she said she would just wait with me.

I have no idea how long the nap took but it was literally the best nap ever even though it was on hard concrete.
I felt good enough to walk and we walked back the last 1000 or so meters until we got to my house. I took a shower and then launched some fireworks with Madeleine before I drove her back. I apologized profusely to her parents (they were like "You really ran 24 miles before you got here? You didn't look like it!" -- I can't tell if that's a compliment) since I dropped her off at like 10:00pm as opposed to the agreed upon 8:30pm, but they seemed alright with it once I explained what happened. The run itself probably took an epic 4 hours or so (I didn't continue timing it after I got to Madeleine's).

I'm never doing that again. Time for some tempo runs.

4 comments:

Sachith said...

wow I actually think this is a tl;dr type of entry...and I wrote it!

Garrett said...

Well I know at least why sprinting was okay. All of your run was on your slow twitch muscle fibers. Your fast twitchers weren't even engaged. Once you are sprinting you are all on your still fresh fast twitch muscles fibers and everything still feels fine because they are still fresh. Once you try running slowly, its back on your exhausted slow twitchers. How are the legs doing?? Any lingering injuries? I dissapointingly had two down weeks in a row (if you call 55 and 50 respectively down weeks). I'm hoping for 70,70,80,60/start of preseason. So basically 3 weeks left. Take a down week, two more solid weeks with some threshold tempos (think 5:50 to 5:25 pace) for 3-7 miles. I am very excited for you this season.

Garrett said...

updatz!

Ian said...

Chief, you have to update. You're freaking me out here.